Thursday, February 12, 2015

Watch Summer with Monika Online

Summer with Monika (1953)Summer with Monika (1953)iMDB Rating: 7.6
Date Released : 9 February 1953
Genre : Drama, Romance
Stars : Harriet Andersson, Lars Ekborg, Dagmar Ebbesen, Åke Fridell. Harry Lund is a nineteen year old young man who meets Monika, a romantic, reckless and rebellious seventeen year old, and they fall in love. They leave their families and jobs in their small town, Harry gets his father's boat and they spend the summer together in an isolated island. Monika gets pregnant, and Harry decides to marry her. He grows-up, gets a job and returns to his studies, trying to..." />
Movie Quality : BRrip
Format : MKV
Size : 700 MB

Download Trailer Subtitle

Harry Lund is a nineteen year old young man who meets Monika, a romantic, reckless and rebellious seventeen year old, and they fall in love. They leave their families and jobs in their small town, Harry gets his father's boat and they spend the summer together in an isolated island. Monika gets pregnant, and Harry decides to marry her. He grows-up, gets a job and returns to his studies, trying to improve their lives and raise their daughter June, while Monika just wants to have fun.

Watch Summer with Monika Trailer :

Review :

A good film, but the subtitles could have been better

I saw this film way back in about 1972 (when it was already nearly 20 years old) and thought it was very good (I had recently had a not-too-dissimilar experience with a Swedish girl - happily without the consequences of a resulting child!), so bought a copy of the DVD when I noticed it in my local store.

I still like it a lot and would recommend it to anyone, but wanted to comment about the subtitles on my DVD copy. I am British, but, because I have lived in Sweden, I can understand most of the film without needing the English subtitles and it struck me that the subtitles miss out a lot that is relevant to the story. Even the translation of the title isn't strictly accurate - "Sommaren med Monika" should really be translated as "THE Summer with Monika", emphasising the fact that the affair only lasted for one Summer - a subtle but important nuance. Most Swedes are better in English than I am in Swedish, so I would appreciate knowing whether they agree with me. I suppose that it is inevitable that there are always subtleties that are lost in translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment